In June 2014, Brian Boland from Facebook wrote an article on why organic reach was declining inside Facebook. Did you see the article? If you didn't, here is a link to why this is occuring.
So if your Facebook strategy does not include Facebook ads, then you really are wasting your time posting. We need to proactively target our ideal customer.
Otherwise our Facebook Page is going to look like the below.
So what is organic reach exactly?
Organic reach is the total number of unique people who were shown your post through unpaid distribution. Paid reach is the total number of unique people who were shown your post as a result of ads.
It is typical to see that as your page likers grows, your reach percentage will go down. However what is something to be mindful of, is that how much it goes down has been deteriorating significantly over the last 3 years. You might find this image from Social Flow in a marketing land article enlightening, which is reflecting their own customer data.
A scarier graph is this one ( although a little old) from Business to Consumer
These numbers are not going to be trending back - EVER.
Some sad facts for you.
- A 1% organic engagement rate these days is considered “good” - so what is your's right now?
- The more likes your pages has, the more that goes down
- If you paid for likes via just promoting your page, rather than strategically boosting engagement via posts that link back to your website, you are not likely to be happy with this state of affairs. We need to be strategic in how we use Facebook to benefit our businesses and this means that we need to think about how we leverage Facebook's reach to our benefit. What we need to be focussed on is not getting just getting more likes - we want to focus on sending more traffic to our website. It is then that magic can occur - and by magic I mean retargeting! Read more about retargeting here
- Essentially, this means that we need to pay-to-play on Facebook.
BUT - this is actually good news, when you know what you are doing.
- Facebook marketing is incredibly cheap when compared to other advertising you may use AND you can actually track what is working yourself and not just rely on what other media outlets tell you about reach, or impressions or views.
- The data Facebook gives you is amazing. Whilst the Big Brother tactics of what they know about you might scare some people ( but only if you are doing something you shouldn't be!) what Facebook can tell you about your viewers is a GOLDMINE of great data.
- You can test your ads from as little as $5 and know if something is working within 24-48 hours. You can kill a campaign after 72 hours with confidence or boost spend when it is going well.
That is the kind of success you can have with advertising inside Facebook.
So if you are not currently advertising inside Facebook - you may as well stop creating content for your Facebook page as no-one is viewing it.
However, if you want to take your business to the next level, with some simple strategies and tactics that will work, for a minimal spend - then daily advertising inside Facebook is how you achieve success.
Want to learn more? Just by reading all the way to the bottom of this blog post, yes you - thankyou!
Grab a discount off my Facebook Frontier Program and save money, elevate your education and start using Facebook ads the right way to grow your business. Use BlogBuddy and save 25% off the course price!